Subject: Student animators...
From: David Warner <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 11:11:49 -0800

On Sun, 17 Mar 1996, Tee Yong Teoh wrote:

>       Being a student makes life quite difficult when deciding to buy a 3D 
> package.  There are 6 main factors to consider :
>     1. cost of hardware
>     2. cost of software
>     3. learning curve
>     4. the tool 
>     5. return in investment
>     6. extensibility

Please tell us how any of these factors become less difficult to deal 
with when you're NOT a student??

>LIFE< is difficult, regardless of who you are or what you do.  If you 
choose to pursue a career in computer animation, then be prepared to PAY 
for the tools that you need to get started.  

I spent 9 years learning how to do computer graphics...I never went to 
college and I never attended any classes to teach me how to animate.  
I paid for all of the hardware and software out of my pocket and I went 
deeply into debt doing so.  

I didn't get a student discount on ANY of the stuff that I purchased to 
get started, why should anyone else?  If a company chooses to offer a 
discounted copy of their product to students, then that's their business,
but if they decide not to make such a discount available, then please 
don't bitch and moan to the rest of us about how difficult life is.  

Welcome to reality.

                                     -David Warner
                                      [email-masked]
                                      http://www.albany.net/~dwarner

P.S. This whole thread was already hashed out on the newsgroup...the bottom
     line is that NewTek is ALREADY offering an educational package.  If I
     remember correctly, they're selling one copy of LW with 5 dongles for
     about $1300...get 4 of your friends together, pitch in about $300
     each and get to work.